.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

California Native Plant PR

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

An Incoherent Landscape

Walking around my neighborhood can be very frustrating for me. Sure, the houses are lovely for the most part, and owners do a good job of keeping their homes clean. I appreciate all that.

What gets me down is the plant chaos. It is such a hodgepodge of everything from tropical to asian to east coast and beyond. There is little to no logic to how the plants are chosen. They just seem to be crammed in randomly.

If I were to be plunked down in the middle of one of these gardens, I don't think I'd be able to tell where I was. The mixture of greenery is utterly confusing, incoherent.

I'm going to write more on this topic. I just wanted to get it out while it was at the top of my mind.

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

  • Thanks, Nate. Reckless watering IS very difficult to see, considering that our water supply has to come from so far away and at such a high cost to the people who live close to the source.

    I am always shocked when I see sprinklers on during rain or a day after. And it's usually to swamp a big, ugly lawn.

    I don't know when homeowners are going to catch on that water is scarce and that there is an easy way to create a beautiful garden while not wasting this precious resource. Someday, I hope.

    And, yes, leaf blowers are nasty. They cause noise pollution as well as air pollution. For some of the larger yards, unfortunately, it would be really hard for gardeners to do their job without one. Do you know if there are any re-chargeable electric blowers on the market? That would be a great solution. I'd buy one to keep at our house for the gardener.

    Cheers,
    Carmen

    By Blogger Mom 2 Miles, at 9:12 AM  

  • You're completely right! We used to live on a very busy corner that was traveled daily by high school and middle school kids walking to and from school. I found the craziest stuff in our parking strips and garden. Such a nightmare.

    I wanted to add something about water that people do with such audacity and lack of conscience that it blows my mind: washing down their sidewalks and driveways. While I have to admit to doing this once or twice a year, I know that many people hose down asphalt almost daily. It's astounding!

    There is a very big problem of apathy and lack of education. But there is an equally huge problem of lack of investment in the foundation of our society. I'm getting way off track from native plants but I truly believe that if our government doesn't start spending money on protecting humans and the environment in which they live instead of bleading the treasury dry on war, then we're doomed for sure.

    On that happy note, I sign off for now!

    By Blogger Mom 2 Miles, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home